art.gnome.org news

A quick round up of important fixes and additions to art.gnome.org in the last few months.

News
====

* Password Reset: James has implemented a new password reset option for users.

* Screenshots: James and I have almost finished testing the new screenshots code, with just a few wrinkles to iron out. If you're interested in testing it, you can go to my development site at art.thos.me.uk and try submitting a screenshot. Comments and suggestions welcome!

* Templates: I added my template code, so now we can begin moving HTML out from the PHP and into templates. Vincent Untz created a french version of the templates which you can test by going to http://art.gnome.org/?lang=fr. Use ?lang=en to change back to english.

* Preview Window: I committed Drom's new preview window, so that previews open in a new window rather than breaking the navigation flow by opening an image in the current browser window. There is also some javascript to resize the image to the current window size, although this may be in need of a little testing.

* RSS Fixes: Benjamin comitted some fixes to the rss feed to make sure we remain valid xml even with non-ascii characters.

* Misc. Fixes: I also made a change to the database to allow usernames of up to 50 characters today - the limit previously was too low and some people had problems.

ToDo
====

* Move remaining HTML code into templates, and create a script to update translated templates. I'm pretty sure this could be done with some cvs date related magic.

* About/Resources/Projects pages - I have implemented these as generic pages which store content in the database, however I am not convinced this is the best way to go, as for translation we would have to add yet another translation mechanism. I now think it might better to store these pages in templates.

* All the other little things listed on the wiki. Here are a couple I think would be easy for someone to implement quickly:

- There should be two password entries to prevent typing errors at registration - "Next 10 updates" link on bottom of Updates page (i.e. page navigation system) - Disallow limited moderators from seeing own backgrounds/themes submitted

See more at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt_2fToDo

-Thomas