Re: PROPOSAL: switch all html to templates

Thomas Wood wrote:
Ilya Khamushkin wrote:

Thomas Wood wrote:

Ilya Khamushkin wrote:

Hello, All

After reading news about volounteers at a.g.o. website, I spend
some time in reading a.g.o. website code.
There are hard mix of html an php.
Feature maintaining and upgrading of site will be simpler
if html divide from php-code.
There are many php templating engines like Smarty
<http://smarty.php.net>, that we can use.
I can take this task and will support a.g.o. in feature.

Let me know what you think for this subject.

I fully agree we need a template system, and I have written a very simple system to use. I did investigate several existing solutions, but I didn't feel any of them where appropriate for art.gnome.org. Many of them exceed the needs of art.gnome.org, and add a complexity that I think is unwarranted.

However, I'm glad you are interested in helping with a.g.o. Once I have committed my template system to CVS, I will need some help stripping out all the existing HTML from the PHP and placing it into templates. So please help out if you can!

Thank you for response, Thomas.

So what I can practically begin to code?
How can I submit a patches? via bugzilla or mail-list?
Can you send me part of database and some files, I need
to setup locally running copy of a.g.o.
Thank you again! :-)

See this e-mail for setup information: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/artweb-list/2005-August/msg00010.html It would be nice to get this into a HACKING file (there is actually a bug open for it), but we would need some location for the SQL schema and image collection.

I've just added a very simple template system to art.gnome.org. I've hacked the main template in by using output buffering, but now need to get all the html out of the individual php and into templates.

I want to organise the templates something like this:

news.html
faq.html

backgrounds/listing.html
backgrounds/detail.html

themes/listing.gtml
themes/detail.html

I think we may need to add a sub-template function to the template to allow looping on items.

So first thing to do is to remove the html from php and replace the php variables with template variables.

I also now want to add some new pages, such as an about page, and a resources page with links to svg version of GNOME logo, and other tools. Does anyone have any ideas how we could lay out a "Resources" page?

-Thomas

p.s. Make sure you hit reply to all to make sure your reply comes to the list. Sorry about this, but it's standard practice on most mailing lists so changing it is just as likely to confuse people as leaving it as it is :-)

ok! thank you!

My 2 cents about templating ;-)

I think we need some more flexible and powerful template engine
that you develop yourself. IMHO: Smarty - one of the best and used.
http://smarty.php.net/whyuse.php
http://smarty.php.net/rightforme.php

There are many features like loops, expressions, etc.
http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/

I don't offer to use cms or other packaged web software,
but all that we need is separate code from layout and design.
And I think we should not develop things that already done.
We are really open source? :-) so let use it!

About "Resource" page...
May it can be just a wiki page?
Please look to another Gnome-oriented website:
http://tango-project.org/
It completely powered by MediaWiki.

--
WBR, ilya