[anjuta-list] Strange compiling behaviour

Hi all.

I have an old project (gtk 2.xx), which I 'imported' into Anjuta. Never had any
problem till today.

I had made a (tar.gz) package which I sent to remote PC and unpacked there.
./configure went fine - no problems at all. But when compiling, the first
file to be compiled threw 'cannot find gtk/gtk.h'. Strange because the gtk.h's
for 1.2, 2.0 and 3.0 are all installed and repond to pkg-config correctly.

Note that exactly the same package installed on my machine, and on another one.

Stranger yet, thanks to suggestions on IRC, I found that manually calling the
pkg-config command like it appears literally in the configure file, _did_ give
several missing packages, but ./configure didn't react.

./configure contains (why the strange quoting?):

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FARMA1, libgnomeui-2.0
[gtk+-2.0 >= 2.16 confmgr3])

The pkg-config (from configure) was:
pkg-config --cflags "libgnomeui-2.0 gtk+-2.0 >= 2.16 confmgr3"

This failed manually, but didn't stop configure.
And didn't fail if called for each library separately.

automake, autoconf, are same versions on each machine.

Can anyone suggest where to look?
John