Re: [anjuta-devel] GNOME IDE

Hi Johannes,

Quoting Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de>:
I think this depends highly on the build system that should be used for
such a stand-alone application. What's the plan for that?

I agree but the build system is not decided. It is not needed to use autotools
because application will not be distributed as source package. I plan to try
using BuildJ format.

We could build another plugin on top of the current autotools backend but I
think it is easier to write another backend. One important reason is that all
this application stuff is still quite fuzzy. BuildJ is  simple and could be
quite easily changed to adapt all applications requirements pushing this part
outside Anjuta.

I think the exact implementation doesn't matter too much.

Yes, I agree. The important point is that we plan to keep Anjuta different from
this new GNOME IDE.

It shouldn't change much for current Anjuta users but on the other hand, it is
possible that new users will start using GNOME IDE instead of Anjuta.

We plan to keep most of the code in common so Anjuta could benefit from it but
we have to add some flexibility in Anjuta to allow this.

We could even
think about creating special environments for different scenarios, like
gnome-ide-c
gnome-ide-javascript
gnome-ide-python
It might be just a matter of loading a different default session file
and storing the used environment somewhere so that some plugins (like
the project-wizard) behave differently.

Yes I think we should allow more than one environment probably using a command
line option. Just loading a different session would be nice but I'm afraid it
will not be enough.