Re: [anjuta-devel] Git plugin libgit2 porting status update

On 08/10/2013 12:18 AM, Sébastien Granjoux wrote:

3. Libgit2 needs to be compiled with special options to work well with
our multithreaded environment. These issues may cause problems for our
users, as they would be responsible for making sure their libgit2 is
compiled with the right options.

I have done a quick search, it seems this thread option is only an issue
on Windows. I suppose it can be enabled by default at least on Linux.
I suppose you're referring to this:
http://librelist.com/browser//libgit2/2011/6/19/threadsafe-configuration-option/#8f4e93c6c7f097fe037b554052dbc49e

That was over 2 years ago. I wonder if the situation has changed since.

Anyway, is there some advantage for the end user to use libgit2? If not,
I think we can wait (or help) until it becomes easier to use.
Ideally the end user wouldn't notice much, if any, difference. The
upshot for us, at least in theory, was that we would be able to do the
same things with substantially less code, And, we wouldn't have to worry
about git changing the format of its output, which has been a problem
for us in the past.

I also hoped that we might be able to make the git plugin faster by
leveraging libgit2's thread safety so that we could run more git
commands in parallel. We already do this to some extent, but it was hard
to do this for things like status and diff because git will error out if
you try to run multiple instances of these commands at the same time.

Unfortunately for us, none of these things have come to pass in
practice, at least for now. Maybe the situation will change soon; I
agree that we should sit on this for a while and see how things shake out.

Thanks,
James