Re: [anjuta-devel] Port to Windows

Hello,

I created new bugs in Bugzilla for the patches necessary for porting Anjuta to Windows. There are 15 patches. They are numbered and should be applied in that order, though git am should do that anyway. Many of those patches are dependent on each other, especially the ones which affects libanjuta/anjuta-utils.c.

699316 - Add configure option to disable terminal plugin
699323 - Use GSettings to get user terminal
699326 - Replace uses of fork and exec* with g_spawn*
699327 - Use G_GSIZE_FORMAT for gsize
699329 - Convert mime types to content types first before checking for supertypes
699330 - Implement anjuta_util_get_real_path in Windows

There are still a lot of patches in my tree (there are about 50 patches, currently) which still need some testing. I prioritized patches that don't have preprocessor checks for Windows, unless it is really necessary (the realpath patch removes some unneeded headers and became a dependency of other patches) or they already exists on Anjuta's source code.

1. AnjutaLauncher now uses g_spawn_async_with_pipes to execute the program. AnjutaLauncher will no longer create a terminal so sudo now needs the -S option added. The problem with this is that the prompt for the password gets mixed in the output. The prompt for the password is now checked in the output pipe (previously they are echoed by the terminal to the input pipe). This test is now performed more than before because the buffer size of output pipe is smaller. That might become a performance issue. This rewrite needs some testing.

2. anjuta-tags is still broken and hangs the whole UI. Might be related to my changes for mapped memory. I still haven't looked on this issue. Also, it has some compiler errors in MinGW GCC 4.8 related to the __unused__ macro. Removing the last two underscores worked in MinGW, but it then have some compiler errors in Linux GCC 4.7.2 (__unused is defined in fcntl.h).

3. There is a bug in the sourceview plugin. When the view is unmapped (changed tabs, moved to another window...), the contents of the file no longer shows up.

4. I added an option to disable the terminal to make it optional. It will be automatically disabled in Windows.

5. A mime type fix. More to come on this section.

6. I still haven't worked on the runtime paths and per-plugin supported mime types.

7. I'm planning to port anjuta-extras and devhelp (not the plugin) too. Devhelp only needs some porting on runtime paths.

8. There is a bug in GLib for MinGW in URI fragments. They are not removed when the URI is converted to a path.

9. Unrelated, but I still haven't updated the patches for devhelp and terminal multi-tabs because I haven't tested them enough and I'm planning to rewrite the patches for terminal.

Feel free to change the commit messages if you like.

Regards,

Arnel