Re: [anjuta-devel] GDL placeholder

Hi James,

Le 09/05/2012 08:38, James Liggett a écrit :
For now, I'd say just try to get rid of GdlDockPlaceholder.
What I don't get is why. Looked at another way,
what functional requirement of GDL does GdlDockPlaceholder address? Sine
no one wrote it down we can only guess now.

I haven't dig into GdlDockPlaceholder so I'm annoyed to remove it. I need to do it before removing it. Anyway it's useful to know if someone has an idea about it.

Granted, writing them isn't very fun, but if we suck it up it could be
worth it in the long run. And please do keep in mind that I don't expect
you to to all of this yourself. This is something that we should all do.

Nobody stands up to write the documentation at the moment, so if I want it, I have to write it. But that's not a problem, I think it's more interesting to do something useful.

My latest example of this phenomenon came up over the weekend when I was
trying to get git shell to display the Status view by default.

Ok. On my side, I have spent this week end removing the use of libxml2 from GdlDockLayout to use only GLib. Then, I have written a function to merge two layouts. My idea was to keep the position of hidden panes by merging the layout just before they are closed with the current layout. It's working at least for simple case but now I need to understand how I can use this information to place new dock so I need to dig deeper.

Even something as simple as some GtkDoc comments would help. I
think many of us have added some (at least I know that Johannes and I
have done a few functions a long time ago) but we have a long way to go.

I have already added more GtkDoc comments, I think we can start by adding them where they are missing.

I'm actually considering following Nacho's lead and dumping GDL for git
shell because it's starting to impede my progress on implementing
features and making it more usable. I don't have anything concrete yet,
and I haven't made any hard decisions right now, but the more I think
about it the more I think it's a good idea.

I'm not as far as you, for the moment GDL looks fine for me. Anyway reviewing it looks quite useful so I will now try to understand other parts.

Thanks for your effort on this, Seb. (And thanks for reading my rant...:-)

Well, I will spend the following weeks on it and we will see what is the outcome. Then don't worry for the length of your message, I like to read and my own messages are not particularly short neither.