Re: [anjuta-devel] Vala and the new code-assistance architecture

Hi Sébastien,

The first option is to integrate this in each plugin. So we only have to adapt the Vala plugin. As you already said the user will only change the options, if the plugin is loaded. And this will only the case, if the user has opened the language specific document. In my opinion this is bad.

Why do you think it's bad? because it is more difficult to change:
you need to have a document in the specific language currently open?
Yep. This is it, why I think that it's bad.

I think the goal was to avoid displaying all options for all plugins
not used by the user. I think it is a worthy goal even if your point
is valid too. Then, perhaps we can imagine something better, by
example allow to load a language plugin even if a file in such
language is not loaded at the moment (make the language plugin user
activatable).
I don't like this way. But once I wrote the last mail, this was the best approach which I had.

The second option is to move all option widgets to the new parser-engine
plugin. In this case we can merge some code. The user can set his
language specific settings in one option widget. For example we show a
table of checkboxes. The rows stand for the setting and the columns
stand for the language. If the language doesn't support the setting, the
checkbox will be disabled or not available. The negative side is the
same point as above. We have to load the plugin so that the user can set
his preferences.

My concern about this option is that you need to have a list of
supported languages so it will be more difficult to support new
languages.
This was my apprehension too.

Another option is to write a new plugin, which single purpose is to show
the option widget. But this is my worst idea.

I don't really like this idea neither. If we need to do something
perhaps it can be useful to be able to load only the preferences part
of plugins.
I just wanted to list all options. So forget it. ;-)

Regards,
Moritz