Re: [anjuta-devel] Aggressivity of merging

Hi Moritz!

Today I tried to merge the calltip code in language-support-vala with
the new parser-engine plugin. Each corresponding method do this in a
different way. (see
https://github.com/ritze/anjuta-clang/commit/814f11c887e63f0a4b9c71eff17649afd8b99e58#L2R401
"plugins/language-support-vala/provider.vala" and
"plugins/parser-engine/plugin.c")

Cool, will have a look at this during the week. Also thanks for your
blog post with the nice schema.

For example the vala plugin only displays the parameters of the method
without the name of the method and parser-engine plugin, which is used
in the cpp-java plugin, also shows the name of the method.

Additionally I couldn't find out, if the parser-engine plugin will be
ever append a "..." string for a parameter with variable number of
arguments (like args in the main method).

My ask is how aggressive should I merge the code? Should each
language-support plugin show the calltips in the same way or in its own
way?

The different plugins should definitly behave the same and be
transparent to the user. I didn't notice that the vala plugins doesn't
show the method name but I feel it is good to have the full signature of
the method (including the name) in the tooltip. All modern computers
should have enough screen-space for this.

Another point is the cache part, which each language-support plugin
does it in a different way too.

If we can have a common cache part that would be best. But I am not sure
if the different mechanism can efficiently use the same cache part. In
general I would prefer one working and tested cache part.

The good news is that I've already merge the obviously code. By the way
I saw, that the git plugin has very much code duplication.

Can you give some details here?

Thanks,