Re: [anjuta-devel] Search Dialog in Anjuta 3.2?

Hi!

That's good as you seems quite busy recently I haven't expected it for
Anjuta 3.4.

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, I have been quite busy working and it
sometimes hard to motivate yourself for coding when you have been working
for 8-10 hours.

1. It's really annoying that the search is case insensitive by default
while almost all programming languages are case sensitive.

This is one of those things that are wrong for 50% of the people whatever
you try. But we could possibly save the state with gsettings so that you
at least don't have to always set it.

2. I would prefer a check box for regular expression and case
sensitivity. I think it's quite difficult for a new user to imagine that
he can get this option by clicking on the search icon. Moreover there is
enough space on the right.

Even as I proposed it I don't like the current UI with the menu. But
checkbuttons don't scale very good either. In english that *might* work
but in Germany you would have two check boxes

[x] Groß/Kleinschreibung beachten [x] Regulärer Ausdruck

which will of course work on my 24' desktop screen but not really on my
13' notebook anymore.

What I was thinking about is an extra button with an [Options] symbol that
pops up the menu. The current state should then be shown either in the
remaining space (can be ellipsized if needed) or in the statusbar.

3. Some editors do case sensitive search if the user type upper case
characters in the search string, this can be another option if you prefer.

Looks like a rather random choice to me.

4. It will be nice to be able to search in the selected text only.

If you have some selection the search should start inside it AFAIK already.

5. In the new "find in files" window, the Search, Replace and Find
Files buttons are not aligned on the right.

Have to look at the GtkGrid options to get this right but shouldn't be a
big deal.

6. I'm not sure that selecting the type of files is very useful. Most of
the time, you have only one language in your project. Moreover as the
syntax is different you can expect that you will not find the same
string in several languages.

7. Perhaps we could add a way to have a custom filter. But as I have
said above, I'm not really convince of its use.

8. Now the main point, I don't like the Find Files button. I think it
would be better to just remove it and fill the list box below with the
result of the search only. I mean add only the files containing a
matching string.

It means that you cannot filter the file before the search but I think
it doesn't matter that much because nothing is changed. It will just
take a bit longer but I think it would still be probably faster than
manually unchecking files.

It is more annoying for a replacement, so perhaps we can do such
operation in two steps. First the replace button is disabled and you do
a search only. When it's completed the replace button is enabled and you
can replace the string in all the matching files. Before doing the
replacement you can remove some files from the list. It means one more
click for a replacement but I think that's fine.

As a bonus, it will hide the fact that the project manager is too slow
too as this operation will be done at the beginning of the search. :)

The "Find in files" button has it's origin in regexxer which is one of the
best search tools IMHO. But I like the idea of combining "Search" and
"Find files" into one button so I will try to implement it. It's not a big
deal.

9. For checking and unchecking files in the list, it should be possible
to select a range of files.

What UI would you propose here? Popup-menu?

10. It could be nice to display the files in a tree view corresponding
to the file hierarchy. In this case perhaps checking a range of files is
less important as you can check or uncheck a parent.

11. I think the number of occurrences is not enough. I would like to
have the line number and the text where the search string has been
found. Even a one line context is useful to easily see which are the
expected matches. You can display this as children of the matching
files. Moreover, the file could be open at the right line to see more
context by double clicking on the corresponding line. It will even allow
me to select which match will be replaced.

In general I agree with this points but I won't have time for it this
cycle. The latter is a bit tricky because there is no easy way to find the
line of a match as you only get the string position.
Of course we could break up a file in lines but that would break multiline
search with regular expressions. And counting the newlines between the
matches also seems like a slow solution though we might try that. But as I
said, I don't think it's doable in the last week.