Re: [anjuta-devel] Code assistance plugin

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:35:04 +0100, Abderrahim Kitouni wrote:
* It seems to make more sens to write a new clang plugin for anjuta,
oriented on gedit plugin. After this work we can maybe merge the two
plugins.

As Johannes pointed out, it will be difficult to merge two codebases. If
you think we should have a common part between the two plugins, you
should be working on that first.

As for having a common part with the gedit plugin: The main gedit plugin (gcp) is just a framework for an IDE, and we have some of its features
in anjuta already. What's really missing is a common framework for
language specific plugins (backends) and I'm not sure this is really a
good idea.

So, what could be shared with the gedit plugin? I'm afraid not much. I think you can share more with the current Vala plugin (and improve it in
the process) than with gedit plugin. (however the C backend could be
useful to see how to use libclang). The question that remains is whether
the plugin will be written in C or Vala.
Of course, a common part would be nice. Also it would be nice to write the plugin in C.

In the coming days I'm going to make some thought about this...

Regards
Moritz