[anjuta-devel] Alternative to jhbuild for building anjuta 3.0+

Hi,

For those still stuck with gnome 2.x desktop and instead depending on
lengthy jhbuild updates for gnome 3.0 libraries, there is an easier
alternative now. Works fine in Ubuntu 11.04 for me.

Add "ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3" in your application sources (run:
update-manager -> settings -> other sources -> add). Then, update
install "apt-get install anjuta libanjuta-dev" normally. It will pull
in most needed 3.0 libraries without any conflict with existings ones.
Then, disable the ppa sources so that other packages don't get
installed accidentally. Repeat it whenever you want to update the 3.0
libs.

But *do not* perform dist-upgrade as instructed to switch to
gnome-shell desktop. The ppa is work-in progress and has known issues
with full upgrade. Switching to complete gnome3 desktop is not needed
for anjuta development, anyways, so we are only interested in the
libs. If you want full 3.0 shell, I heard fedora 15 beta is better
suited for it.

Hope it saves some nerves dealing with jhbuild.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba