[anjuta-devel] GSOC-Project Idea

Hi,

My name is Abhinav Upadhyay, and I am a 4th year student of
Information Technology & Engineering from India.

I really liked the idea of integrating bugzilla in Anjuta. I have a
few interesting use cases in mind about it--

Developers would be able to search bugs in a particular project, with
different search criteria (pretty basic thing to do)
They would be able to directly mark a bug fixed or change its status
as they see right
They would be able to fetch a patch from bugzilla and apply to their code
They would be able to file new bugs from Anjuta as well.
Asign a bug to a developer/team
Comment on bugs, etc.

It should provide all the features of bugzilla without letting the
developers logging into it in a browser.

Integrating this feature with git.gnome.org would be even better,
because it would smoothen the work flow. I searched around, but I
don't think that git.gnome.org provides any API or web service to
build applications upon, so it won't be an easy task though.

But I have something in my mind. Actually in launchpad and ubuntu dev
tools, what they do is to scan the commit of the branch being pushed,
they scan for a particular string of the format (LP: #bugnumber) , and
if a corresponding bug number is found on launchpad, it is marked as
linked to that branch, if a developer merges that branch, then the bug
is marked fixed. Debian's bug tracker system also works similarly.

We could do something similar with the existing git plugin. As
bugzilla does not provide any functionality to link the bugs with git
branches, what we can do is to link the bug with a git branch within
Anjuta, and when the developer merges that branch into the master, the
bug could be marked as fixed (automatically).

I don't have a clear idea of how the development in Gnome goes, so I
believe the above suggested idea must be having its flaws, but I think
it can be worked out.

If someone is willing to mentor for this project, then I think an
interesting project could be outlined, as if bugzilla and
git.gnome.org could be integrated closely, that would be the killer
feature of Anjuta.

Thanks
Abhinav