Re: [anjuta-devel] new project manager UI

Hello,

                 في ح، 30-01-2011 عند 21:43 +0100 ، كتب Johannes Schmid:
HI

I wanted to test the new (final) API for a project backend, so I ported
a (half-finished) BuilDj backend I had floating around over from the old
API, and I found a problem with the project manager: it doesn't show
targets that aren't in a group.

Cool, would be interested to see this, maybe you can push it to github
or something like that.
I'll try to do it. It's still read-only and uses json (I haven't found a
good yaml library that can work with vala yet), but it can show the
basic structure of the project.

Indeed, looking at the code shows that it looks only for groups and
modules in the children of the root node (and for some other things in
groups etc.), and adding the same code for targets shows them without
problems. IMO, it shouldn't restrict what is shown based on its type. It
should be possible to write a, say, ant project backend and start using
it without anjuta knowing anything about it (backends that anjuta knows
about would have nicer icons, etc. but others should work as well). What
do you think?

Sorry, I don't fully understand what you mean here. A project backend is
like any other anjuta plugin and should be able to fully integrate.
Let me give an example: consider someone wrote a project backend plugin
for Ant[1], how would the project manager show the project structure?
I'd assume it would be something like this:
http://help.eclipse.org/help33/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/images/ant_view.png
or maybe even like this (the left pane):
http://platform.netbeans.org/images/tutorials/projecttypes/sample-3.png

In both cases, Anjuta[2] cannot know about all the different nodes.
While it is OK to just have generic icons for them, not showing them at
all wouldn't be nice (we may even end up with a blank project view).

Every restriction for out-of-tree plugins is a bug more or less.
This reminds me of another restriction I encountered: the file manager
knows only about subversion and git, so if someone writes a plugin for
something else [3], it won't be automatically loaded. I'll file a bug.

Regards,
Abderrahim

[1] http://ant.apache.org/
[2] While the Project Manager, Document Manager, etc. are implemented as
plugins, from the point of view of a user they are part of Anjuta core,
and not just plugins that happen to be "official".
[3] I tried to write a mercurial plugin before I found a limitation in
PyGObject.