Re: [anjuta-devel] autoconf issue, maybe better to create new project backend for AVR plugins (based on a standard makefile)?

Hi Lucas,

Le 15/08/2011 21:20, Lucas van Dijk a écrit :
Now the configure dialog finally works, there's another issue, this time
with the configure.ac <http://configure.ac> script and/or the
Makefile.am. But when I run ./configure, in Anjuta or in terminal, the
CFLAGS in the resulting Makefile won't change, when I run ./configure
the following way:

./configure CFLAGS='--mmcu=atmega168 -O1'

I don't fully understand the issue. If you need to set some CFLAGS in anjuta you need to add to the configure command line 'CFLAGS=--mmcu=atmega168 -O1'. The quotes are needed to avoid splitting value in the middle.

By the way, I'm starting to think that using autotools for avr-gcc isn't
really the right option. In the future I also want to add AVR Assembly
support, and I think it won't be easy to use autotools for that, and
I've been thinking for some alternative.

I don't think it's really a problem to support AVR assembly with autotools.

I thought of copying the makefile project backend, make it a new plugin,
modify it a bit so it only shows 2 targets (C sources, Assembly
sources), create a nice project properties window where you can enter
MCU type, CPU frequency, etc, and I think the overall user experience
will be a lot better, in comparison with hacking all sorts of
configuration things in existing dialogs.

I have thought about the same idea a few years ago but Naba was against this options because it means that you have a kind of anjuta project format. Someone using another IDE cannot really work on such project and you cannot use Anjuta to work on a valid makefile project not compliant with this format. I'm agree that it is much easier to write and provide a nice interface for the user. We haven't chosen this solution though.

Then, perhaps we can consider that AVR projects are quite small and collaboration is less important or consider that most of the AVR projects are using these templates and use this solution. But I would prefer to have a solution using a standard makefile even if the most complex cases are not fully supported.

Anyway, I think you still have to hack existing dialogs because all user interface is provided by the project manager and I think it's much better to keep at least this plugin.