Re: [anjuta-devel] Git shell merged to master

Hi Johannes,

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 17:12 +0100, Johannes Schmid wrote:

* When I change to "Git" it should automatically show the "Git Task"
pane (and the other way round, too)
This isn't quite as easy as it looks. More than likely it'll require
changes to both GDL and AnjutaShell. I'm not exactly looking forward to
messing with GDL again, but it'll probably have to be done at some point
anyway. :(

* It would be great to have the context menu in the file-browser
(Git->Add, Remove, Checkout) back. It's more convenient that doing
drag&drop though dnd is very nice in other situations
I was really hoping to avoid using menus in git shell. Though I could do
this for add, remove, and view log (the original never did checkout,) I
never really planned to do this for consistency reasons. That's not to
say that I can't or won't do this at some point, though.

Just for my own edification, which situations do you find DnD to be
convenient and which ones do you not? That might serve as a guide for me
when I make decisions like this. Do keep in mind that using DnD as it is
in git shell is certainly one of the its more experimental aspects. I
don't think it's all that bad. In fact I think it's pretty slick. But
hey, I wrote it, so I'm probably biased. :-)

* It would be nice if the "Status" pane would auto-update and if it had
"Select All" and "Clear" buttons, maybe defaulting to selecting all
items.
I don't do this now because we'd have to watch every folder in a given
project for changes. Seb used to have to do this in the PM and you may
recall that performance wasn't so great.

Sometimes I think it would be better if the dialogs would go to the top
of the "Git" pane and not to the bottom. But that's difficult to say
without trying and I am not entirely sure if it is better.
I have them at the bottom so that you can drag down from the middle
panes to select items (tags, branches, revisions, etc.)

Thanks for your feedback,
James