Re: [anjuta-devel] RFC: Symbol-db future

Hi Johannes,

Le 10/12/2010 17:10, Johannes Schmid a écrit :
The project-manager is the wrong place to do something that is specific
to C/C++ projects IMHO. Any other projects don't need to parse those
directories even if they use pkg-config to check if everything is
installed correctly.

I can imagine that another language (vala ?) could directly use C library and so use pkg-config. On the other hand, I don't think a project written in a language not able to use C library will use pkg-config. Anyway, I don't care that much if it's done in the language support plugin.

The method could as well be
called add_files(). The symbol-db plugin will have to check anyway, if
those files are in the database already. Sorry for being misleading
here.

Ok, so I think a method add_files will be better then. If we parse include, we don't have package anyway.

And again, project-manager shouldn't do C/C++ specific things.

I'm agree but a pkg-config package represents a C library so it's already specific to C. Most part is in the autotools backend not in the project manager plugin. The autotools is designed for C project so I don't see a problem to have C specific things here.

* symbol-db will scan all the include dirs we have with pkg-config

Ok, do you plan to add in the symbol-db database header files which are not belonging to any package ? It's the case for standard C header file or all libraries which don't have a specific directory.

* language-support will tell symbol-db which header files are necessary
for the current file
* symbol-db copies the symbols of these files to a temporary database in
memory
* searches will be performed on this temporary database.

Ok, so the difference is that I have proposed to save, in addition, the header files included in each source file. This will avoid to run gcc each time, but if it's fast enough we don't care.