[anjuta-devel] glib 2.25.15

Hi Johannes,

The lastest version of Anjuta needs GLib 2.25.15 which is the development version of GLib. So you cannot compile Anjuta with a normal system even up to date (I means using the latest release of Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Mandriva...).

I think you do it on purpose. Then we have get several bug reports, especially to remove deprecated features that require to use of the latest development version. So, that's fine for me to decide that Anjuta needs the latest version of several libraries.

But, then I think it would be nice to add more informations on how to compile Anjuta from sources. It will be useful for developers outside the core team and even for us.

How do you handle this on your side ? Do you use a development version of your distribution ? Do you use jhbuild ?

I have been able to compile Anjuta on a very old system (Red Hat 4.5 or 4.6) using jhbuild. It takes some time because I have to recompile almost the whole GNOME stack. I wasn't able to recompile gdm though due to changes in the power management. I got some issues with file notification too, this kernel was using dnotify and I think Anjuta uses too many monitors for it, so the performance is really bad. GEdit was working much better because it checks changes on the currently open file only.

On my previous system, I have been able to compile Anjuta after compiling Glib, Gtk and several other libraries from sources in /usr/local. But I have to tune some .pc and .la files in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/pkgconfig due to libraries used by Anjuta and depending on Glib and Gtk (all components should use the same version of Glib in /usr/local/lib). It's possible but not easy. Do you have a better solution ?

In both case, on things that help is to minimize dependencies and avoid mandatory plugins. devhelp by example needs webkit that needs a lots of libraries.