Re: [xml] xmllsBaseCharGroup undefined

On Friday 08 September 2006 21:18, Justin Scott wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to install the perl module XML::LibXML, and as a
result have installed libxml2. Libxml2 has appeared to install
correctly (I can run xmllint) but when I try to install XML::LibXML,
all the tests fail with a problem regarding symbol xmlIsBaseCharGroup
(which I found is in chvalid).

The specific errors are:
Can't load '/etc/XML-LibXML/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for
module XML::LibXML:
/etc/XML-LibXML/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol:
xmlIsBaseCharGroup at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm
line 230.

Thanks,
Justin Scott

Hi,

I believe the problem is due to some misconfiguration on your side.

Specifically, I suspect that you compiled and linked XML::LibXML against one
version of libxml2 library, but your configuration is such that the dynamic
linker tries to link it with a different (probably older) version at
run-time. The C part of XML::LibXML doesn't use this symbol specifically.

BTW, putting Perl modules to /etc seems really exotic to me, but you didn't
specify your platform.

XML::LibXML's Makefile.PL uses xml2-config by default to detect libxml2 setup,
but you can also specify the right paths via LIBS=... and INC=... manually.
You can also use DEBUG=1 to see what happens. I would also try running

ldd /etc/XML-LibXML/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so

and other magic to see if it gets linked against the correct libxml2.so.

P.S. since Perl bindings are not official part of libxml2, you might prefer to
discuss this on a Perl forum at perl-xml listserv activestate com  OTH, it
would most probably be just me replying there and without more details, I
can't really help.

-- Petr