Re: [Vala] Help me find the right Vala idiom

On 05Mar12, Chris Elston allegedly wrote:
Hello list,

I have a pattern I commonly use in C which I've so far failed to
translate to an equivalent Vala or indeed OO equivalent.  I was hoping
that those more used to thinking in such terms would be able to point me
in the right direction.

I'm no vala pro, but there are a number of ways you could do
this. Generics is one and polymorphism is another. I've pasted a
sample of the latter at http://pastebin.com/QwqwERJp

Note that parseInt and parseString are derived from the base class and
have different signatures for the "value" method.

Other vala short cuts include using:
   o the int.parse() method rather than strtoul()
   o [:] array referencing to access data after the keyword
   o the label: value constructor technique
   o properties to set/get the parsed value

BTW. It's not clear to me that length+1 is safe if the parse string
only contains the token, but this is just a mimic your C code.

Mark.