Re: [Vala] Vala-team PPA packages

On 07/27/2012 11:28 AM, Eric Gregory wrote:
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask about the Vala PPA,
but I was wondering if it would be possible to have a slight policy change.

Currently, only builds of the latest releases of the unstable and stable
branches are kept in the repo.  The problem with this approach is if that
version contains a critical bug, all Launchpad projects which depend on the
Vala PPA will fail to build.

Fortunately there's a simple solution -- keep the previous builds in the
repo.  This way projects which require an exact version of Vala can
continue to build on Launchpad, and end-users can install and "lock" a
specific version of Vala on their system if need be.

I don't know much about the Launchpad/PPA system, or who's in charge of
the Vala PPA, however I have to ask the obvious question:

Are other PPAs set up like this? Is this common? If there is relevant
Ubuntu policy, what does it say? Can't people worried about
incompatible/buggy updates in Vala, but who still need recent versions
from the PPA, simply Build-Depends up to the newest version they've checked?

End-users, of course, can already instruct apt to lock a package to a
specific version. This has been possible with Debian (and Ubuntu, of
course) for as long as I can remember (which is quite a while)

Thomas

Does this sound reasonable?  Is there a reason the PPA is currently not
setup this way?

 - Eric

P.S. Be sure to come say hi to us Yorbans if you're at GUADEC!