[Vala] R: Re: R: POSIX and Dova profiles

Hi Andrea,

Hi,

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 11:12 +0200, sejerpz tin
it wrote:
What I really,
really like would be the
implementation of "light classes" on the Posix
profile (in the
spirit of [1]) with support for:

  * Single inheritance

* Interfaces
  * Properties

and may be later:

  *
Signals

I don't know if all of this is really feasible, but
reading
the dova sources it seems that the first 3 features are
very simple to
implement and light enough to be used on some
embedded hardware (not
really an expert here ;) )

As there are
various ways to implement this on top of POSIX/C, classes
and
interfaces defined using the POSIX profile would not be compatible

with types from existing libraries. This means that we'd essentially

Yes, but sometimes C interoperability is all that is needed when a
micro is really... micro :)

define a new platform. However, without
a runtime library, it would not
be very convenient to use that
platform.

I agree with you and I've to say that and I'm not an
embedded system expert (I just wrote some bounce of code for work, when
I was younger ;) in C and assembly for some micros, but today it's just
an hobby).

But I think having classes and some more oop machinery will
be also useful in micros with very low resources (32-64Kb of memory),
where of course a full framework doesn't make any sense (nor a rich
string class etc...)

In my opinion, the continuation of the Dova
experiment will be better
suited for embedded hardware (where you
can't or don't want to use
GLib). It will support interfaces and it
will allow embedding the needed
bits of the runtime library into the
executable without making the
executable larger than necessary.

agree, but taking Dova as a reference I think that should be usable
with the bare minimum.

For example why Uri, Node, ArrayList, List are
member of the dova-base lib?
One hypothetical library should include
just the minimum to implement classes, interfaces and signal, leaving
all the rest, and I mean also rich string classes or other enanched
datatypes, to the upper layers.

The syntax won't be identical to
Vala
but as code typically cannot be reused between Vala/GObject and

Vala/POSIX either, I don't expect this to be a big issue.

Will still
be a C based language? A lot of people are used to C in micro land ;)

(On a side note I'm not sure that I like the result = blah of the dova
profile, it reminds me vb6 when you have to write funcion_name = blah,
and I think that return blah is still better and more clear)

Regards,
Jürg

Regards,
Andrea

P.S.
Now I included also the vala-
list... Do I already said that I hate this web email client?