Re: [Usability] HIG proposals are bad for PDA and small screen devices

On 9 Jan 2008, at 15:21, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

Hallo.

HIG conforming application must use 12 pixel spacing and ignore screen
dimensions. It sounds broken by design.

It's a known issue, but the main 'broken-ness' is in gtk[1], which uses pixel units for everything, rather than a device-independent scheme. Thus we had little choice but to write guidelines that assumed everyone was running on an average sized-screen with an average-sized font, and choose spacing guidelines accordingly.

That said, updating the guidelines with mobile devices in mind is definitely something we need to consider for the next release of the HIG. It may be that a separate or supplementary document is more appropriate, though (as with the Java mobile device guidelines, the Windows CE guidelines etc.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] Or at least, it was when the HIG was written-- was this ever fixed?
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-February/msg00009.html

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team