Re: [Usability] HIG proposals are bad for PDA and small screen devices

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 16:21 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> On PDA devices, screen size is one of most limited resources. GNOME HIG
> proposes constant spacing [1] [2], which keeps empty 20% or more of
> available PDA screen area in an average window. The cost: unneeded
> scroll bars, less items displayed or even unreachable rightmost items.

I agree, but this problem needs to be solved in implementation before
the HIG can be updated to take the new possibility into account.

> - Prohibit pixel based dimensions in HIG and similar standards.
>
> - Predefine several spacing variables for these purposes and propose its
>   use everywhere it is appropriate. These dimensions should be
>   changeable by a standard gtkrc way.
>
> - Modify GTK+ and GNOME to use these variables instead of constants 6,
>   12,...

This could also improve consistency and would streamline creating GUIs.

Allowing fractions of defined spacings could add flexibility and shorten
the list of needed definitions.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: