[Usability] Re: RFC: On-line Content Filtering of directories

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 17:08 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > 1) Anytime there is a "cancel" button visible to the user, "Escape"
> > should activate the "cancel" button.
>
> In GTK+ HEAD and GTK+ 2.6.4 I can verify that Escape is bound to the
> CANCEL button in dialogs, if there is any present. Otherwise it doesn't
> do anything.

I didn't know that. :)

> > 2) Any dialog box should also be "Escape"able defaulting to the same
> > effect as pressing the "X" to close the dialog window.
>
> Do you think this is desirable in all situations? Shouldn't we exclude
> "Apply" dialogs (possible data loss)?

Maybe my definition of an "Apply" dialog is incorrect but aren't "Apply"
dialogs going against the "instant apply" methodology of GNOME? I was
under the impression these were disappearing over time. Besides, if I'm
pressing Escape I don't want the changes I made to take place. Otherwise
I'd have taken the time to click "Apply" (or press alt+a).

> Note that we already act that way in many situations (we close menus and
> cancel drags on escape).

Nice!

I really had no idea that these things worked as much as you're
reporting. Time for me to experiment.

--
Kevin C. Krinke <kckrinke opendoorsoftware com>
Open Door Software Inc.