Re: [Usability]ui-review checklist

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:47:53PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> So we can make a short UI Review checklist, lets fill up this thread
> with common things that people find during UI Review of GNOME
> applications, ideally with links into the relevant parts of the HIG:
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/
>
> Here's one to start with:
>
> Alert button order and names:
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#alert-button-order

Here are two things to look out for:

  1) "Close" should never be alert button.
  2) Neither "Yes" nor "No" should ever be seen; most of these have been
     eliminated, afaik. However, I've seen a few which are of this form:
                                           [ Don't Foo ] [   Foo   ]
     Alerts of that form are not HIG compliant either. The buttons and
     probably the alert text need to be corrected. The correction may be to
     remove the alert and hand the problem another way.

> I see "Frameless/bold HIG stuff" often in the current ui-review bugs but
> I don't know what part of the HIG it refers to.

These two:
  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/controls.html#controls-frames
  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/layout.html#window-layout-spacing

But please see: