Re: [Usability]ui-review checklist

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 17:37, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:47:53PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > So we can make a short UI Review checklist, lets fill up this thread
> > with common things that people find during UI Review of GNOME
> > applications, ideally with links into the relevant parts of the HIG:
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/
> >
> > Here's one to start with:
> >
> > Alert button order and names:
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#alert-button-order
>
> Here are two things to look out for:
>
>   1) "Close" should never be alert button.
>   2) Neither "Yes" nor "No" should ever be seen; most of these have been
>      eliminated, afaik. However, I've seen a few which are of this form:
>                                            [ Don't Foo ] [   Foo   ]
>      Alerts of that form are not HIG compliant either. The buttons and
>      probably the alert text need to be corrected. The correction may be to
>      remove the alert and hand the problem another way.

That's the same as "alert button order and names" above.

> > I see "Frameless/bold HIG stuff" often in the current ui-review bugs but
> > I don't know what part of the HIG it refers to.
>
> These two:
>   http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/controls.html#controls-frames

It looks like we need a GtkFrame bug to change the default.

>   http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/layout.html#window-layout-spacing
> But please see:
>   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-December/msg00100.html

I don't understand the reference to "label only containing 4 spaces".
Where does the HIG recommend this?

Also, I don't see any accessibility problem - the frame is still there.

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net