Re: toggle-or-exec added to 1.7.0

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:45:21 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
>> A. I propose to merge it to jump-or-exec;
>
> One thing could be a base-function with jor and tor-wrappers.
Yes. So at least we can do with one module.

(As a side effect, it'll be easier to navigate through the lisp file
directories if there're fewer files. Until a few years ago, I was
not familiar, and it was a labyrinth for me.)

> the different things [...] should be honorerd with two different
> commands. I also think that's more intuitive.

It's true, but one file will be simple enough, too.

Let's review the situation; toggle-or-exec can be implemented as a
new option to jump-or-exec. But it already has the argument `oufocused'.
So if we change it to:

(define (jump-or-exec regex prog #!key match-class onfocused) ...)

Then toggle-or-exec can be written by jump-or-exec as:

( bind-keys global-keymap "W-F10"
   `( jump-or-exec "Geany" "geany" #:onfocused 'hide  ;; look here
  ) )

For me, it's simple enough. :)

# Current j-or-e can already surrogate t-or-e, by passing
# `iconify-window' as "onfocused",

The strength of providing them as a single function is that you can
add any more options in future.

> Attached is a version, which adds (and makes use of) a new "exit-leave" window-matcher.
> We could manually do window-put in the before-add-window-hook, but a window-matcher saves
> some lines of code and does the same.

I thought the same. :) Matcher is much better. As for the name,
"iconify-on-leave" is more self-descriptive.

>> F.
>> If it'll be an independent func / module, how about the name
>> `show-hide-or-exec' [instead of toggle-or-exec]?
>
> sound unintuitive. Well, same for toggle. But as soon as people know what the function
> does, toggle is better I believe.

At first glance, I didn't understand it. "Toggle? Toggle what?"
It's after I read the code that I understood this new device. (Even
the document didn't help. ;)

Before dwelling on this, I'll finish cycle-or-exec.

Best regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)