Re: Themes for 3.0

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:50:42 +0200, fuchur wrote:

>> Simply do `setq' in theme.jl.
>
> I have try it some times but it doesn't  work here.

Ah - ah - I see. That's the gaol. (Sigh.)

Sawfish / librep gaol is a specially crafted module, inside of which
access to bindings are restricted, and even special variables are not
readable inside of a gaol, unless allowed. Gaol is exclusively used
for themes. (John Harper may have introduced it for general purpose
since he created librep not only for Sawfish, but it's gone into
oblivion.)

A cure for our current purpose is:
1. Define a new func `set-tab-adjustments' in tab.jl, and export it.
2. In tab.jl, open wm.gaol, and add (gaol-add 'set-tab-adjustments).
3. Call it from your theme.jl.

This is ok. But fuchur, tell me, how much is a pain to design a theme
like yours, which is quite an innovation? (I tried to access a
variable which is not allowed in a gaol, and Sawfish crashed.) If it's
horrendous, we may have to consider a big amnesty - abolish gaol at
all. But this will be really drudgery; I don't like another burden.
And it makes all themes invalid. (It's really difficult to support
both.)

# Oh Teika, why are you weeping? ;)

Xnest / Xephyr is a "nested X server" and running Sawfish inside
of them is really helpful.

It's also obvious that it's better to check if a theme supports tab.

Teika (Teika kazura)