Keyboard issues

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:56:09 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> * On my system ALT is bound to ALT, but sawfish recognizes it as META,
>   so using A in keybindings has no effect.

Sawfish recognizes alt as meta if you don't have meta. Simply use of
M- does, so I won't change it. This is a Unix convention. If it's a
problem of Sawfish, then it's a doc problem.

> * AltGR is recognized as Mod5, though it actually is
>   ISO_Level3_Shift on my System. Of course I can use ISO_Level3_Shift
>   in bindigs correctly, unlike A for the ALT key, but this is confusing,
>   if you use ISO_Level3_Shift and Sawfish refers to Mod5.

Your keyboard seems to define the AltGR as mod5, too, in addition
to level3_shift. If you don't need that modifier, unregister mod5
with xmodmap or so. You're still able to type in symbols with AltGR.

Current Sawfish is correct, since it has to recognize all
modifiers. Again, this is a documentation problem (or lacking FAQ
item.)

NumLock is difficult. It's "virtual modifier" in xkb extension.
If virtual modifier support can be negelected, then the overall
problem is not so difficult. My strategy on virtual modifier isn't
fixed yet.

My plan on button: Buttons will not be referred via 'state' field in
event structure any more, but they're logged at button press / release
events. Openbox does so. It may be polluted by grabs, but click &
release refresh, so I assume it's no so much of trouble. You can thus
use buttons > 5 cleanly.

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)