Re: Sawfish or Xorg input bug

Andrea Vettorello said:     (by the date of Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:11:03 +0100)

> I tried the less effort downgrade, but with kernel 2.6.18 and 2.6.22 I
> had no luck. Sigh, it'll be a pain to test older Xorg versions (i
> would be happy to isolate the change who broke things or at least in
> which package).  T__T

I have debian etch and 2.6.22 kernel from:

 deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main non-free contrib

and I don't have this problem. It should mean that it's not a kernel
problem but rather Xorg problem. Maybe we should find in the mailing
list and IRC history when people noticed this problem for the first time.
Then people affected can look into  /var/log/aptitude and look at
what was upgraded at this point in time or slightly earlier. And
finally we could look into package history on debian site, like this
one, to see when a new .deb version was added:

  http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xorg.html

maybe that would allow to find the offending upgrade.... Well it
still requires some detective skills ;)

> Now that you mention it, sometimes I've found the monitor still
> powered on when instead it should have been on stand-by...

my wife has the opposite problem on clean debian etch - LCD is
turning off after 5 minutes (the dpms setting) while watching
movies with mplayer ;-) But I don't have this problem on my PC (and
screens are properly turning off after 5 minutes). That's just weird.

best regards