Re: xconsole mystery

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz buug org> wrote:

> Trying to use sawfish again, after some holiday abroad in openbox land
> :-)
>
> I start my X with xdm, and I run xconsole from Xsetup:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # $Id$
> #
> # This script is run as root before showing login widget.
>
> #xsetroot -solid rgb:8/8/8
> hsetroot -tile /usr/local/share/sky-1280x1024.jpg
> xconsole -geometry +0-0 -notify -verbose -exitOnFail &
>

> The xconsole instance persists into my session.  I had this setup with
> openbox and it works flawlessly.  It almost works with sawfish too,
> _except_ that the xconsole window gets iconified.  I have no idea why
> the behavior is different from openbox, but I see this:
>
> itz matica:~$ xprop -name xconsole
> _WIN_AREA(CARDINAL) = 0, 0
> _NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4294967295
> WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
>                window state: Normal
>                icon window: 0x0
> _WIN_STATE(CARDINAL) = 1
> _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
> WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
> WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0xa00011
> WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "C"
> WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xconsole", "XConsole"
> WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
>                Client accepts input or input focus: True
>                Initial state is Iconic State.
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
>                user specified location: 0, 952
>                program specified size: 400 by 70
>                window gravity: SouthWest
> WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "matica"
> WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "xconsole", "-geometry", "+0-0", "-notify", "-verbose", "-exitOnFail" }
> WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "xconsole"
> WM_NAME(STRING) = "xconsole"

Tried here, with GDM instead of XDM (so executed it via ~/.xsession,
not using Xsetup) and without "-exitOnFail" because it can't open
console (^__^;) and hints are different (Debian Sid, same Sawfish
version 1:1.3.3-1):

WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
_WIN_AREA(CARDINAL) = 0, 0
_WIN_WORKSPACE(CARDINAL) = 0
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 0
_WIN_STATE(CARDINAL) = 0
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x800026
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_US.UTF-8"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xconsole", "XConsole"
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: True
                Initial state is Normal State.
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                user specified location: 0, 408
                program specified size: 400 by 70
                window gravity: SouthWest
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "zzz"
WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "xconsole", "-geometry", "+0-0", "-notify", "-verbose" }
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "xconsole"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "xconsole"

> Note the value of WM_HINTS.  I don't know how it gets so - I checked
> xconsole source and it doesn't seem to do anything special about
> WM_HINTS.  But it is that way even with openbox, so this is not really
> sawfish's fault I guess, it does what it is told to do.
>
> 2 more data points:
>
> when I start another client, such as xloadimage, from Xsetup, it doesn't
> behave like this - it's decorated normally.
>
> I tried to put this in .sawfishrc, it doesn't change anything:
> (map-windows uniconify-window)

> Yes, though I am somewhat confused if there's a matcher option to do
> this.  There's "Iconified" under the State tab, but it doesn't
> explicitly say "Ignore Iconify hint" which is more like what I need.  In
> any case, I checked the Iconified option and set it to No, it didn't
> help.  OTOH, sawfish does the right thing when I set the Sticky option
> for this client, so it's not that it misses the window entirely or
> something.

I've tried to set "Inconified Yes" (as it starts in normal state here)
and it works as expected and probably "Iconified No" should override
the iconified hint, so yeah, I'm confused too...

--
Andrea