Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Tray Icon Usability & Minor Changes

Hi!

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 15:06 -0300, tom�pollak wrote:
> Hello Rhythmbox devs,
>
> First of all, the Tray Icon Functionality. Have you ever seen the tray
> icon in Banshee? It's awesome. Not only does it show the current
> playing song + the album icon in a tooltip by hovering over, but it
> also allows you to change songs just by using the scrollwheel over the
> icon (the best feature EVER). Last but not least, it uses the original
> Banshee icon and not some generic "music" icon as it happens with
> Rhythmbox.

hm, I don't know what you're doing wrong, but mine's been doing the
tooltip for quite a while now. Just tried to make a screenshot, but the
tooltip would disappear for the split-second I pressed the key... The
scrollwheel on the icon for me changes RB volume, which is quite useful
if you want to turn down RB while on the phone (skype) or something.
Granted, the icon is kindof oldish, that's been discussed here sometime
last summer, but nothing ever really came of it. Go design something and
post it... :)

> Other minor changes:
>
> - What about upgrading the iconset in Rhythmbox? It looks kinda
> "oldish" with the ones it currently has. Even the official Rhythmbox
> icon seems a bit outdated compared to the other ones in the menu!

RB icons come from your Metacity theme so they blend in with your GNOME
desktop, or at least all other GNOME programs. If you're using RB in a
non-GNOME environment, someone on this list will probably be happy to
provide you with information on how to change your metacity theme
outside GNOME...

> - Is it really necessary to have an "All - Albums - Artists - Titles"
> selector in the searchbox? When most people search for something in
> their music program, they actually know what they're looking for (i.e.
> "lets listen to the Abbey Road by The Beatles"), so there's really no
> need to put an extra filter since I know that by adding more letters
> or words, I can keep on reducing the number of results. Besides, I
> believe they tend to mess things a little in the GUI. Without them,
> Rhythmbox would probably look better!

Imagine you're searching for all variations (eg, cover versions) of "let
it be" in your library. If you can't limit the search mask to "Title",
for me, an entire album comes up as match: swITchfoot's BEautiful
LETdown, to be exact, I've capitalised the letters that made it a match.
Maybe having a "match exact phrase feature could cut that, but it was
just a random example...

> Best of luck to all.

and to you.
-karsten

--
<ooze> ist eigentlich mal jemanden aufgefallen, dass amokl�er
ausschlie�ich windows einsetzen?