[Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Tray Icon Usability & Minor Changes

Hello Rhythmbox devs,

first of all, thank you for your excellent piece of software. However,
I would like to suggest some ideas for minor changes that I believe
would make a big difference for everyone.

First of all, the Tray Icon Functionality. Have you ever seen the tray
icon in Banshee? It's awesome. Not only does it show the current
playing song + the album icon in a tooltip by hovering over, but it
also allows you to change songs just by using the scrollwheel over the
icon (the best feature EVER). Last but not least, it uses the original
Banshee icon and not some generic "music" icon as it happens with
Rhythmbox.

I believe this shouldn't be so hard to develop, would it? I wish I
were a programmer, that way I could develop this stuff myself, without
having to ask someone else for it.

Other minor changes:

- What about upgrading the iconset in Rhythmbox? It looks kinda
"oldish" with the ones it currently has. Even the official Rhythmbox
icon seems a bit outdated compared to the other ones in the menu!

- Is it really necessary to have an "All - Albums - Artists - Titles"
selector in the searchbox? When most people search for something in
their music program, they actually know what they're looking for (i.e.
"lets listen to the Abbey Road by The Beatles"), so there's really no
need to put an extra filter since I know that by adding more letters
or words, I can keep on reducing the number of results. Besides, I
believe they tend to mess things a little in the GUI. Without them,
Rhythmbox would probably look better!

- Small one: when switching from Library to Podcasts to Play Queue or
whatever, I believe the searchbox input should automatically receive
focus. You should be able to start typing right away, and not have to
press anything to do so.

Well, of course these are just ideas. I hope you "dev masters" have
the time to make something out of them, or at least to give me the
reason as to why you chose some other way.

Best of luck to all.

Regards,
Tomas