Re: NetworkManager, nm-applet, and network-admin

On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 00:04 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le samedi 14 février 2009, à 22:34 +0100, Frederic Peters a écrit :
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Shaun pointed out on #gnome-hackers there were some confusion around
> > nm-applet, NetworkManager and its relation to network-admin (from
> > gnome-system-tools).
> >
> > network-manager-applet looks like it was first approved[1], but later
> > on, as hinted on live.gnome.org[2], it has been rejected, as there
> > were no release.
> >
> >  [1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2007-January/msg00007.html
> >  [2] http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/Desktop
> >
> > Could this be clarified ?
>
> Well. Not sure what can be clarified :-) nm-applet is not part of the
> desktop and you found out how. The main issue here is that nm-applet
> doesn't follow the GNOME development cycle.
>
> > NetworkManager 0.7 could go in the blessed
> > external dependencies, and network-manager-applet in the desktop
> > suite.
>
> I'm fine with NM being a blessed dependency. But for nm-applet, I don't
> think we can change anything until there are regular tarballs.
>
> > Also, we could ask Carlos Garnacho to disable network-admin by default
> > in gnome-system-tools, as it doesn't seem to have any purpose when NM
> > is running.
> >
> > How does that sound?
>
> Hrm. Well, that's up to the distro in the end, so I wouldn't change
> anything there.

Hum, thanks for clearing that up for me.  This makes the situation
for documentation somewhat difficult, because the fact is that most
of our users will be using NM, and I think most of our hackers would
consider it the best approach we have.

But if it's not in Gnome, well, I just have to leave a big hole in
the User Guide.  Unfortunate, but sadly not the only case.

--
Shaun