Re: New dependency?

On Tue, June 6, 2006 18:47, Elijah Newren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like system-tools-backends now has a hard dependency on
> Net::DBus (perl bindings to dbus).  I don't recall seeing this
> discussed anywhere (my apologies if I missed it), and I'm not sure
> that the community would be accepting of it as a dependency for the
> Gnome desktop (I'm not saying it wouldn't be, just that I'm not sure
> it would be).  Granted, system-tools-backends is classified as an
> external module, but gnome-system-tools depends on it.  We'll need to
> get this resolved somehow; either making it a soft dependency or
> getting community consensus to accept it (and possibly thus blessing
> perl bindings in general).  Suggestions?
>
> Thanks for all your hard work on GNOME system tools.  :)

I think we'll reach consensus that it's okay to use it: aren't we in
love with dbus now? ;-) Also, I'm a bit reluctant on imposing
restrictions on our blessed dependencies/external modules: we should
definitely tell their maintainers when we're not happy, but doing
more might not be sensible from us.

Now, what about liboobs? :-) I guess it should be included in the
desktop set.