Re: How does Project Ridley affect ISV's?

<quote who="Brian Cameron">

> Does the release team have any feeling for which GNOME libraries will
> remain in the platform after Project Ridley and which libraries will
> continue to be supported?

Brian, it has been quite well known throughout the project that we are
trying to shift away from Bonobo. We should have deprecated it ages ago,
we've just been procrastinating to avoid the social intrigue required to get
it done. ORBit2 is a slightly different story. It's there mostly for Bonobo,
but we've used it in other places too. Many will shift to d-bus (gnome-vfs,
gconfd, e-d-s), but the conversation is wide open for a11y.

Keep in mind that Project Ridley is focused on getting stuff into GTK+ that
should belong there. It does not have a direct impact on how we define the
stability or supportability of the GNOME Developer Platform libraries. But
the renewed focus on our entire platform means Ridley will inspire us to get
the GNOME Developer Platform mess fixed too.

The point of your email could have been communicated in about 10 lines, btw.
:-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

  "If you want to start a debate on a subject, however, all that seems to
     be necessary is to involve perennial target Richard Gooch." - LWN