Re: Floating point in pango

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:24:18 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 10:45 -0500, Sean Kelley wrote:
> > I think many embedded folks like myself are in a very serious bind
> > because I need pango and Gtk's evolving features  But more importantly
> > I need pango-cairo to be fast ... Plus then do I fork cairo's api to add
> > fix point?
>
> 	What came of the optimisations to quickly elide the redundant unit
> matrix multiplications ? AFAIR the hack to detect those with integer
> code had a nice effect, but clearly tracking unit-ness ;-) consistently
> would be a clearer win (?).

There's been lots of good discussion of these over on the cairo list.

The available patches showed big performance improvements for embedded
platforms without any change to the API needed. I recommended a few
small style fixes before merging the patches. If nobody else does that
cleanup before I can, then I'll be doing that, (I plan to do some
performance testing with a Nokia 770 and merge a bunch of stuff next
week).

-Carl