Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Linux questions. With orca.

Le 07/11/2016 à 19:19, ronak shah a écrit :
Hi,

I have few questions based on linux, it would b great if someone could
help me out.

Dear Mr. Shah,

1- I have been useing ubuntu 14.04 vinux distribution for a while, but
it frankly dint match my expectations, can you suggest me a good linux
which will mostly help me with the technical stuff.

I'm not sure about what are you looking for but a pretty good distribution is Debian GNU/Linux. It is accessible out-of-the-box and there is a accessibility team that make the distribution accessible. You could find informations on the Debian wiki : https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility

2- for java editer, I have tried to use eclipse 3.8 version but the
graphical user interface of Java does not work in eclipse mainly the
output of the GUI.

I am a Emacs user but as I know only the GTK2 version of Eclipse is correctly usable for blind people.

3- libreoffice for PowerPoint presentations is not at all accessible for
me with orca for some reason, I dont realy understand why.

I'm aware of some LibreOffice impress stuff, could you give me more precise informations about the problem you encounter ?

I am not able to access magnifier in vinux when its documentation says
that it has a inbuilt magnifier.

There are currently two screen magnifiers available on Linux :
- The GNOME built-in screen magnifier that provide basics functionalities (minimal focus tracking, color inversion, multiple screen mode, etc) - The Compiz accessibility features. Compiz is an extensible window-manager that provides those plug-ins : a screen magnifier (ezoom), a negative manager (negative), a module for changing mouse and more !

For me the couple Debian, Mate and Compiz is the best choice for accessibility purpose. It provide a really simple environment that is completely customizable (mouse, theme, color, menu, etc).

I'm a low-vision people and I use exclusively the Compiz screen magnifier as my primary assistive technology since one year.

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager