Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Re: [Support] autoinstall of talking arch

btw, no jail-breaking was necessary. On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Todor Fassl
wrote:

Where I work, there are about 70 linux end users and five or ten Windows
users. It's about a ten to one ratio. Over the years, most of the Windows
users have been made administrators on their machines because they got tired
of calling an IT staffer down every time they had to do anything on their
machine. I am not a Windows admin so I don't know what all the problems were.
But I think it was mostly virus scanner updates, installs, etc. Overy the same
time period, only 1 linux user has been given sudo rights on his machine. And
that was a political decision, not a practical one.

So now most of our Windows users are running as administrators and as a
result, they can install viruses unless they're careful. But the linux users
simply don't even have privileges to instal programs except in their own
space.  They literally can't alter systems programs. Pretty regularly, an end
user who doesn't know better will type "sudo apt-get install <package-name>".
They googled it and just typed what the instructions said. But that sends me a
message saying someone tried to do a command with sudo. I then log onto their
machine remotely and install it for them. The whole thing can take as little
as 2 minutes if I happen to be at my desk and not too busy doing something
else.

Like I said in another message, nobody ever asks for anything that is not in
the debian package repository. Well, I shouldn't say never. We do support
dropbox and skype. But one big problem is google-drive. There's no
google-drive package for linux.

Apple has seen the value of this package repository approach. That's why you
have to jailbreak your IOS device in order to install something that is not in
the Apple Store. I am sure the people at Apple knew people weren't going to
like Apple telling them where to get their apps from. In spite of all the
drawbacks, Apple clearly decided the benefits of controlling the package
repository outweighed the drawbacks.