Re: [orca-list] a question about Braille

Mike Gorse <mgorse alum wpi edu> wrote:

Anyway, I needed to manually configure my system to start brltty, then
manually add myself to the brlapi group, so I was curious whether those were
things that people normally need to do if they want Braille / if other
distributions somehow do something that makes it easier to enable.

I might be wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, if braille is used
during installation under Debian, it's automatically installed and enabled on
the running system. This way, you can install the distribution using a braille
display, and, when the newly created system is first booted, it will start
BRLTTY.

Most distribution packages have post-installation scripts that create
/etc/brlapi.key. It wasn't entirely clear from your post whether OpenSuse
does; I hope I'm interpreting what you wrote correctly by assuming that it
generates brlapi.key but you still need to set the appropriate permissions.
This is in line with other distributions.

Your issue with virtual consoles was discussed on the Debian accessibility
list recently as well. If this could be addressed, the installation process
would be much smoother for users.