Re: [orca-list] a question about Braille

Only strange thing I had to do in gentoo, was to compile gdm to look for
screens starting at tty12 which is a configure option.

Mike Gorse <mgorse alum wpi edu> wrote:

Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to test Braille in openSUSE. At first, brltty wouldn't
start because the systemd unit file was looking for brltty in the
wrong place. I'm trying to get that fixed. Once I made a fixed package
that had a good systemd unit file, I could start brltty, and it worked
fine from the console--all I had to do was connect my Brailliant 40 to
the USB port, and it seemed to automagically detect it. Then I tried
to see if orca would communicate with brltty. At first at didn't--I
figured out that it needed access to /etc/brlapi.key, and I needed to
add my user to the brlapi group. After that, it still didn't work,
only because I'd rigged my system to have more than six virtual
consoles and something seems to assume that X is on console 7. Once I
fixed all of that, it started to work.

Anyway, I needed to manually configure my system to start brltty, then
manually add myself to the brlapi group, so I was curious whether
those were things that people normally need to do if they want Braille
/ if other distributions somehow do something that makes it easier to
enable.

Thanks,
-Mike