Re: [orca-list] getting gdm screen to talk

Well, I got some eyeballs on the case and I am getting oh no, something
has gone wrong, please logout and try again and hitting tab goes to the
logout button, but after that, screen is completely blank.

Any ideas?

covici ccs covici com wrote:

OK, what is the debian-gdm at the end  -- is  that supposed to be the
user or what?

Also, thanks for the keystroke, it did not work, but I may have some
other problems.  I did try to run orca by hand after exporting
DISPLAY=:0 in a terminal logged in as root and I got screen reader on,
but nothing after that.

Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:

covici ccs covici com <covici ccs covici com> wrote:
hmmm, isn't there an app to change the setting outside of gnome itself
-- at least there used to be a way to do such things.  What I did do was
to su - to gdm and run orca -t while there, would that do the trick?

This used to work for Debian and possibly still does. Note that it's a single
shell command. You may be able to modify it for your distribution.

su -s /bin/sh -c 'eval $(dbus-launch) ; export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID ; GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set
org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications screen-reader-enabled true' Debian-gdm

This is taken from the debian-accessibility mailing list.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         covici ccs covici com