[orca-list] Editing with Orca: This is driving me to drinkin!

OK, at first, I thought this might be some sort of problem with the way that Voxin interfaced with Speech-Dispatcher, but, that doesn't appear to after all, be the case. I switched to ESpeak, and also to Festival, and in all cases easily reproduced the problem. Basically, kto make a long story short, this all started when I put Wubi on my desktop computer. Remember when I was having all those problems with checking e-mail? Which, btw, 90% of them have been resolved... Well, if I typed a multi line document, I don't care if this was in Thunderbird, Evolution, the Open Office word Processor, It didn't matter, G Edit, whatever... If I type a multi line page, by the time I get to about the 3rd line of text, I can't audibly backspace if I make errors. I mean, ok, visually it is doing exactly as it should. I know this for several reasons, one: a sighted person told me, 2, if I up, down, left, or right arrow, those ways of navigating work, but I can't backspace out a few letters if I hit a wrong one. If I try, Orca says literally absolutely nothing. there is no beep from the internal speaker, nor sound device, no error message given, it, just simply, will, not, go.

So, how do I edit then? Well? Honestly? very painfully. I literally have to mentally know what I'm back spacing, or, use my arrow keys, or move word by word with ctrl+left and right arrow. Find the characters I want to delete, then hit the delete key. As I do that and a new character goes under my insertion point, those! do! read. I can't even select text. If I try, again, orca says nothing. And, to top off the weirdness, get a load a this! If in a terminal, I use Speakup, from the included instlalation from Vinux, 3.0, which btw, seems to be using speech dispatcher for it's speech system, I have the same issue. If I use pico, or nano, or such, same ordeal. Please can someone tell me why this may be happenning and more so, how I may can fix it, as this is driving me to wanna shoot this darn computer. Before anyone can ask, no it's not just Wubi. As I said, I did this both with Wubi, and with Vinux 3.0, and actually, come to think of it, I even tried this with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid. Although all these other distros: Wubi, and Vinux 3.0 are both based around Ubuntu Lucid, so... yeah...

Anyway, has anyone else seen this, and if so, how did you fix it? If you didn't, then has anyone reported it? If not, how can we go about doing so?

The totally! puzzled Chris, who wants answers. LOL!