Re: [orca-list] quick questions on orca and arch linux

On 01/-10/-28163 08:59 PM, hackingKK wrote:
I am just curious about arch linux because I seem a lot of mails on this list on different subjects related to that distro.
I would like a summary on the following.
1, is it possible to Install arch using orca?
Not using the standard/speakup modified arch installers, you may have a chance of doing it using ubuntu or other LiveCD in the same manner as I did the install from GRML (this installing from another distros liveCD would possibly fall in to the category of intermediate/advanced).

Using the speakup modified CD (as described on the arch wiki) will mean you are using speakup with espeak.
2, is the installer graphical or text based?
Text based, but it is a menu type application so the archlinux installer isn't too hard (remember the extra steps to ensure speakup is installed as well as the base and that the system comes up talking).
3, how easy it is to install gnome on arch?
Currently arch has gnome 2.30.x packages. To answer the question, very easy, basics would be: *Install xorg (possibly implied by other packages but like to make sure), xorg-video-drivers (although xorg includes a vesa driver these will give better ones specific to hardware, or you may like to find the specific one for your hardware), xorg-input-drivers (again optional but if you have the space may help get more from the hardware), gamin (some have said why not fam, well fam would need adding to the startup daemons array), gnome and gnome-extra. Command is something like pacman -Sy xorg xorg-input-drivers xorg-video-drivers gamin gnome gnome-extra
* Configure the system, depending on your needs options may vary.
* Start all services (hal and gdm, also fam should you decide to use fam instead of gamin). * Enjoy gnome (remember the initial orca setup questions bug, when orca says "welcome to orca" alt+tab once to get focus back to setup questions).
4, what are the superior points of arch, specially in context to accessibility and Orca? Build the system up, only have what you need, greater flexibility to have it as you want (eg. if you don't want pulseaudio then don't install it, infact if you prefer OSS then go that way from the beginning). There is a page on the arch wiki comparing it to other distros, may be worth a read.

Can any one provide me links to any tutorial which would help me install arch and gnome with no sighted assistance?
Look back at the list archives for my audio tutorial. Also the archlinux wiki is good for information, other than the initial install of arch you shouldn't have much in the way of special needs for a tutorial as you have speakup. For the install of arch if you want written stuff then the arch linux for the blind page on the wiki will help.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.