Re: [orca-list] Anybody using DECtalk (hardware or software) with Orca

Hi,

On 04/13/2010 05:58 PM, Alex H. wrote:
Hi listers,

I am eventually thinking on buying a hardware DECTalk USB or the
software synth. I've heard the USB sounds better and more like the
great sounding 4.3. Can anybody comment on using DECtalk with Orca,
what it took to get it set up etc? How is responsiveness and so on?

I haven't tried it for a while, but I have an old DECTalk serial port synthesizer. To use it with Orca, you
need to have the emacspeak speech servers installed on your system. As I recall, it worked very well with
Orca. If emacspeak was installed when you installed/built Orca, the emacspeak speech server was automatically
included in the speech servers list in Orca.
Under the speech tab in Orca Preferences, you can just choose the emacspeak speech server from the list, then the DECTalk from the voices list.

However, my memory is that it got a little squirrely if you used it with Orca under gnome and emacspeak
running in a console. Things would lock up if you tried to use emacspeak from within gnome when Orca was
running. So, I use my DECTalk with emacspeak in a console and a number of different software synthesizers
with Orca.

Good luck,

dave