Re: [orca-list] Incorporating Storm Dragon's customizations

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 04:59 AM, Storm Dragon wrote:
Hi,
I have heard a lot of arguments against including things like weather by default. Here's the reason why I believe it should be included. Weather is available on the panel. All someone has to do to see the weather is glance up at it, then back to what ever they were doing. With Orca, or any screen reader that doesn't have the functionality built in, you have to press control+alt+tab to first find the top panel, then tab to the section you want read, in this case the weather, then navigate back to your application you were using, and possibly find your place. Even if it is not complex to do so, it still takes your attention away from your current project for longer than a sighted user for equivilant information. Though retrieving weather info is not part of what a screen reader does, providing information in an easy and timely manner is. The press of the button to display time or weather is the same as glancing up at the panel to view the info and quickly returning to your work.

the work of screen reader is to make life of a blind user very easy and give what ever info a sighted person finds anywhere on the screen.
So I don't think providing info on any of the top panel icons does not fall within the scope of Orca.
Infact it is very important to get this feature incorporated because it is still tedious to go to the top panel just for listening to tipe, date or whether.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.