Re: [orca-list] Incorporating Storm Dragon's customizations

Hi,
I have heard a lot of arguments against including things like weather by default. Here's the reason why I believe it should be included. Weather is available on the panel. All someone has to do to see the weather is glance up at it, then back to what ever they were doing. With Orca, or any screen reader that doesn't have the functionality built in, you have to press control+alt+tab to first find the top panel, then tab to the section you want read, in this case the weather, then navigate back to your application you were using, and possibly find your place. Even if it is not complex to do so, it still takes your attention away from your current project for longer than a sighted user for equivilant information. Though retrieving weather info is not part of what a screen reader does, providing information in an easy and timely manner is. The press of the button to display time or weather is the same as glancing up at the panel to view the info and quickly returning to your work. It could be argued, in fact has been argued, that time doesn't need to be included because it's available on the panel. But I believe it should be included for the same reason as the weather information. The purpose of a good screen reader is to present information to visually impared users. A great screen reader does it in such a way as to make it as efficient as possible. Another reason I have heard for leaving this out by default is because the screen reader purest won't like it. My counter for this argument is, if a function isn't liked, then don't use it lol. How much effort could it possibly take to not press a button?
Thanks
Storm

--
Registered Linux user number 508465: