Re: [orca-list] OCR on Linux

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 09:49 +0200, Willem van der Walt wrote:
My update on kies:
Daniel said:
Also think Willem is changing the front end to use another ocr engine.
I am trying to change it so that one can have different ocr engines and
have them selectable.
I have it working with cuneiform now, but still have a few glitches which
I would like to sort out first.
Can you please detail out thouse "glitches?"

Cuneiform seem to be the better engine between ocropus and cuneiform at
this point, but remember that ocropus is not an engine, but currently use
tesseract as its default engine.
The big advantage of Cuneiform over ocropus is the speed.
I will try to finish up the work on the kies stuff soon, but had quite a
few other things requiring attention, so it took longer than what I
thought.
Great work willam, keep it up.
People are welcome to write me off-list about this, since it boarders on
being off-topic for this list.

Indeed this is off-topic and let's start a private discussion on this
issue.
I am adding one more to this OT thread because I wanted to make a
suggestion.
I suggest we setup a mailing list dedicated for blind users discussing
ocr-tts combinations.
Willem, I have already started a project which is soon to be funded by
government (approved ).
The  project will aim at integrating these free softwares (OCR, Scanning
and speech synthesizer).
I will need your help and feedback from people like james and daniel and
peeter tessar.

See you guys on the next email off list.

Wil, I don't know about what others think of this thread, but my sincear
oppologies that I added one more mail to this OT.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.