Re: [orca-list] Orca and Acrobat Reader not cooperating

Hi,

Google foxyfir; it's a package of blind-friendly stuff I ran across
randomly the other day.  In the document I found describing it it
mentioned several command-line tools for extracting text from PDFs.
There's also an article on the orca wiki describing a hack to get text
from PDFs using evince (I think it just involved hitting ctrl+a to
select all and copying it to somewhere else).  I haven't tried
acroread (too scared, especially since adobe flash plugin locked up
orca when I tried to install it through the firefox plugin finder
thing and I don't like adobe much on non-windows platforms anyway).

Nolan, Firefox works fine on the toshiba; I do get a totally random
orca crash sometimes (I'm using gnome-speech) but rebooting orca works
just fine.  I've bought a new eeepc (see my thread) and firefox is a
lot more snotty - crashes orca, works very slowly, plus when orca
disappears it doesn't want to come back until I reboot the whole
computer (rebooting X doesn't work like it usually does).  In my other
thread I thought this was a problem encountered when using Orca
normally, but I've localized it to firefox.  Speech-dispatcher would
crash to the dummy module (which is only slightly better than no
speech) and gnome-speech just disappears altogether.  I have to go
extra slow with firefox to get it to pretend to play nice.